U.C. Regents Purchase Land in Westwood for New Campus March 21, 1925 On March 21, 1925, the UC Regents announced the purchase of the “Beverly Site” for the new University Campus By the mid 1920s enrollment at the Southern Branch had expanded to the point that the 25 acres of its Vermont Avenue location was becoming too small to accommodate the growing student body. Looking to expand, the U.C. Regents conducted a search for a new campus location. Declining site proposals in Burbank, Pasadena, Fullerton, and Palos Verdes, the Regents settled upon a 384-acre parcel of the Wolfskill Rancho just west of Beverly Hills as new site for the Southern Branch campus. On March 21, 1925, they announced the new “Beverly Site,” which at the time was mostly uninhabited. Above, from the 1925 yearbook, newspaper clippings announcing new Southern Branch Campus Site.